Friday, April 10, 2009

Gardening and Labyrinth-ing

I've been gardening all afternoon and I am tired. I started in the front yard, cleaning out the gardens at the front porch. Dad had planted variegated ribbon grass many (many) years ago. I don't remember the front yard without it. It was his pride and joy, especially when a local Nursery asked if they could dig it up - for a good price. Dad refused and guarded that ribbon grass for the rest of his life.

Well, it had seen better days. I had not taken care of it as he had and the lawn grass was taking it over. Today, I started digging it up to transplant to a better spot. It has certainly opened up the front yard gardens and will make it much easier to keep the area clean. Previously when I used the leaf blower, it was a constant battle to get the grass clippings or leaves up and over the ribbon grass, now it's a 'clean shot'. Without the ribbon grass, small annuals will also be more visible.

The ribbon grass is being moved to the back yard. I'm putting it around the outside border of my labyrinth. It's partway done, it's visible in the picture above, if you click to 'blow it up'. Upper left hand corner and in toward the middle. I like the effect it has, it's pulling the labyrinth and the yard together. The labyrinth feels more organic with it also. There's still a lot of ribbon grass to more, but it will get done.

In the meantime, I'm already in my 'jammies' and am propping my feet up resting. The weather report calls for rain tonight. That will help the transplants tuck in.

No comments: